We all have ‘down’ weeks sometimes and certainly not helped by endless grey rainy days in so-called summer! In light of this I decided to think about what is good about rain, to cheer us all up with positive thinking.
1. I’ll start with the obvious – It fills the reservoirs so we have plenty of water to use and drink
2. It waters the plants
3. No need for a hose pipe ban
4. It keeps the dust down. If you live near a busy road you’ll appreciate this one!
5. Lower pollen levels, which helps alleviate hay fever
6. Fills up your water butts ready for the long hot August we’re going to have!
7. Washes the patio
8. Makes you feel pleased that you work inside, if you do.
9. A good reason to relax and enjoy inside activities, without feeling guilty that you should be out enjoying the sunshine. So watch TV, enjoy that film, do some crafting, read, cook whatever floats your boat but I appreciate this has limited appeal with children!
Ok I’m scraping the barrel now and I’m not going to make it to 10 good things about rain – do tell me if you think of any more.
To finish this blog here is an exert from a poem I wrote some time ago about the water cycle:
The Water Cycle story can be very long,
from sea to sky and back again
the job is never done.
The sea gets hotter
as the sun shines through.
Water drops evaporate and disappear from view.
Making cloud formations they whiz across the sky.
The sun and sea are left behind
the wind decides the way.
Over hills and mountains the air begins to chill,
condensation starts to form
and raindrops fall at will.
I’m in the process of illustrating this poem along with other science, nature poems and the complete poem will be available as a book on Amazon late 2019.